Classes with The Arc and ACC
It’s official! The Arc of the Arts studio, located at 4902 Grover Avenue, has partnered with Austin Community College STEPS program to become a satellite site for late afternoon, evening and weekend art classes through their Continuing Education Division. These classes are designed for people of all abilities and are open to the community. Summer 2017 classes will be offered on a trimester basis; spring, summer, and fall. Attendees will receive a student ID and will earn Continuing Education Units.
Summer registration begins April 3, 2017
Each class will cost $291.50 which covers all tuition costs, materials, and fees. ($30 per class)
- Intro to Digital Photography ARTX 3007
- Monday 2:30 p.m. — 4:30 p.m. This course introduces students to photography techniques and concepts as well as the fundamentals of artistic expression through camera work. Students will learn the anatomy of digital cameras, various photography techniques such as exposure times, and the guidelines of composition. Students will explore concepts such as lighting, point of focus, subject matter, and digital photo manipulation.
- Film Studies ARTX 3010
- Monday 6:00 p.m.— 8:00 p.m.
- This course offers the opportunity to study, critique, and create works on film. Students will get a comprehensive overview of equipment, software, and the filmmaking process. Subjects will include writing, storyboarding, development, costumes, props, sets, and acting for the camera, as well as editing and post production. Students will recreate scenes, learn about storytelling and narrative.
- Begin to Paint ARTX 3011
- Tuesday 6:00 p.m.— 8:00 p.m.
- This course introduces students to classical and contemporary painting techniques and concepts, with emphasis on understanding the verbal and visual language of painting. Students will explore different techniques and learn to apply them to their own work. Mediums will include water-based acrylic and watercolor paint, and ink. We will also study the use of brushes and pallet knives on painting surfaces.
- Intro to Mixed Media ARTX 3006
- Wednesday 2:30 p.m.— 4:30 p.m.
- This course offers an opportunity for artists to experiment with a wide range of mediums. Students will focus on each medium independently and later move towards combining approaches. Mediums will include drawing, painting, printmaking, collage/mosaic, photography, and textiles.
- Fundamentals of Collage ARTX 3009
- Wednesday 6:00 p.m.— 8:00 p.m.
- This course introduces students to collage techniques and concepts as well as the fundamentals of artistic expression. Basic materials and techniques will be introduced first and then illustrated through demonstrations and the work of contemporary collage artists. Artists will explore the concepts of composition, diversity of materials, and image manipulation to create expressive works of art.
- Drawing Techniques ARTX 3012
- Thursday 6:00 p.m.— 8:00 p.m.
- Artists will learn and explore different techniques and approaches to drawing and learn how to apply them to their own drawing practices. Students will participate in a series of exercises to learn basic and essential drawing skills, refine technique, and develop composition. This class will explore line work, relative perspective, and an exploration of drawing materials such as graphite, ink, and charcoal.
- Fundamentals of Visual Art ARTX
- Saturday 10:00 a. m. – 12:00 p.m.
- This class jumps feet first into the most popular visual art mediums: painting, drawing, collage, sculp-ture and jewelry making. Students will have access to the entire studio space as well as valuable in-put and critique from our professional artist instructors. Our studio is fully stocked with the supplies necessary to create works of art in this variety of mediums. This course is a great “sampling” that can give you a taste for what mediums to concentrate on in trimesters to come!
- Paint Like The Masters ARTX 3008
- Saturday 1:00 p.m.— 3:00 p.m.
- This course identifies prominent artists from history and explores their techniques by replicating their most prized works. Every two weeks, we will introduce a new artist, briefly explore their contributions to the history of art and focus on their methods of creative approach. Students will produce four works throughout this 11-week course.
Please contact Jerry or Rachel below for more information:
Program Manager, The Arc of the Arts
4902 Grover Ave.
Austin, TX 78756
512-476-7044 ext. 236
Lead Art Instructor, The Arc of the Arts
4902 Grover Ave.
Austin, TX 78756
512-476-7044 ext. 215
This project is supported in part by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.
The program is a project of the Junior League of Austin.
This program is funded and supported in part by the City of Austin through the Grant for Technology Opportunities Program.