Building Community Through Team Unity
Group Volunteering Needs:
The Arc of the Capital Area has one-time volunteer opportunities for community, school, church and other groups.
Group volunteering occurs in our post-secondary program which includes courses in art, health and wellness, gardening and career education.
Group volunteering projects typically occur Monday through Friday for 2-4 hours, from 9:00-11:30am or 12:00-3:00pm.
Volunteer groups help with a variety of projects such as gardening, yoga in the park, canvas stretching, gessoing, art show preparation, and special events. We are seeking groups ranging in size from 5 to 20.
To participate in a group volunteer project, we ask that you submit your request at least three weeks in advance of the date you hope to volunteer.
The overall goal of the Mentorship Program is to positively impact the social development and academic achievement of individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities.
- Mentoring consists of fun, hands-on activities that connect and engage mentors and mentees in the courses offered in our post-secondary education program.
- Mentors and mentees are matched based on interest compatibility.
- The Mentor works with the assigned student/mentee one-on-one, on a weekly basis, in the classroom setting for 2 hours per week with a commitment of a minimum of 12 weeks. The hours are Monday through Friday from 9:30-11:30am and 12:00–2:00pm.
- Mondays: Digital Media
- Tuesdays: Health & Wellness; Performing Arts
- Wednesdays: Urban Garden & Community Involvement; Visual Arts
- Thursdays: Independent Life Skills; Visual Arts
- Fridays: Career Education; Visual Arts
Team Building Workshops:
As part of The Arc of the Capital Area’s post-secondary education program, we assist with career development. We currently offer painting parties in which groups of up to 30 can come to the studio or schedule a party at your location. By engaging in a CreateABILITY painting party, participants create a unique piece of art, taught with step-by-step instructions by one of our talented art students. These fun painting parties allow you to leave with a one-of-a-kind painting created by you, and provides a paid opportunity for our students to build their resume. Rate is $35 per person and with a 50% deposit two weeks ahead of scheduled date.
To discuss opportunities, or for more information, contact Leah Marsden, Volunteer Coordinator.
Check out some of our pictures below: