The Arc of the Capital Area Art Education Program
In The Arc’s Art Education Program, clients with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) explore artistic mediums and create artwork that is professionally shown and sold at art shows, local businesses, and online.
Visit the Storefront to purchase unique artwork created by the artists of The Arc!
Our professional instructors help students to find an artistic means to best express themselves, promoting client-directed goals, self-determination, social skills, and gaining a sense of independence and pride! We daily bridge the gap of post-secondary education support for the I/DD community and their families.
To sign up:
- Review the handbook
- Fill out the application and accompanying forms
- Return to The Arc of the Capital Area by mail, email, fax, or in person
- We will review your application for eligibility
- We will schedule you for 3 free trial days to see if the program is a good fit for you; this will give us an idea of how you socialize with others, etc.
- If you are accepted, we will work with you and your case manager to get any additional paperwork needed
- Payment is due on the first day of class, if you are paying privately
Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Mondays: Digital Media Art, including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, general computer skills.
- For example, during recycling week students made earth advocacy posters using Photoshop
- Tuesdays: Performing Arts, including singing, dancing, acting.
- One month the students focused on the song “Thriller” and learned about auditioning, reading music, physical workings of singing
- Wednesdays – Fridays: visual arts, including painting, sculpting, drawing.
- During their week on Native Americans, students painted a night sky scene on wood rounds
For more information on the program, view the student handbook and download the application or contact the Amber Nelson, Director of Art and Education, below.
Private pay and provider pay options are available.
Director of Art and Education
4902 Grover Ave, Austin, TX 78756
512-476-7044 ext. 236
This project is supported in part by the Cultural Arts Division of the City of Austin Economic Development Department.
The program is a project of the Junior League of Austin.
This program is funded and supported in part by the City of Austin through the Grant for Technology Opportunities Program.